Clothing & Textile Syllabus and Mark Distribution College of Home Economics Bangladesh.

The curriculum for B.Sc. (Honours) course in Clothing & Textile, shall be offered over the period of four academic years. Students who have passed her H.S.C. examination in Home Econoimics & Sciences group will be admitted to the B.Sc. (Hons). course in Clothing & Textile. The courses have been selected from both, the Textile sciences and Physical sciences. A total of 32 units (3200 marks) of courses are modified and distributed as followed as per regulations of the faculty of Biological Sciences, under, the University of Dhaka. Minor courses are compulsory for the students.There will be a final examination at the end of each academic year for students in both theoretical and practical courses and results will be published as per regulation of the Controller of Examination, University of Dhaka.

1) Each unit of theoretical course requires 3 class hours (each week) for a minimum of 20 weeks i.e. a total of 60 class hours over one academic year.
2) Each half-unit course requires a minimum of 30 class hours.
3) For theoretical courses in major areas 20% marks are allocated for in-course assessments and the remaining 80% marks are reserved for final examination. 2 in-course examination for 1 unit & 1 in-course examination for ½ unit.
4) For minor areas 20% marks are allocated for practical examination.
5) For practical examinations in minor and major areas, 20% are allocated for class evaluation and the remaining 80% are to be evaluated in final examinations.
6) There will be a final examination at the end of each year for all courses .The duration of final year examination for 1unit 4 hours and for ½ unit is 2.5 hours.


Unit
Final Theory Examination
In-course Examination
1 unit (100 marks)
80 marks, (5 ques¬tion out of 8, 16 marks for each).
1 exam. of 20 marks after 20-30 lectures.
½ unit (50 marks)
40 marks, (4 ques¬tions out of 6, 10 marks for each).
1 exam. of 10 marks.

8. For minor courses:
a) No in-course examination for practical based minor paper.
b) Each 1 unit course will have 80% of marks for theatrical, 20% for practical.
c) Each ½ unit course will have 40 marks for theatricals & 10 marks for practical.
d) For minor courses without practical, 20% of marks will be used for taking 1 in-course examination.
9) If a student fails to appear in the In-course Examination she will not be allowed for in-course exami¬nation for second time. There will be no supplementary in-course examination.
10) At the end of 1 academic year, final examination will be held. If a student wishes to drop any paper, she should do so, by only appearing in the examination. If she secures less than 45% number in any paper then she fails in the paper and can appear only once within the next year only. Only two papers can be dropped at a time.
11) After each year final Examination, 50 marks is allotted for general Viva.

The Year-wise distribution of the Minor & Major areas with units for Department of Clothing & Textile:
Courses for 1st Year
Major Courses for 1st Year
Course No.
Name
Unit
Practical
Unit
CT 101
Principles of Family Clothing
1.0
CT 103
0.5
CT 102
Textile Raw Material-1
0.5
CT 104 (Viva)
0.5
Total

1.5

1.0

Minor Courses for 1st Year:
Course No.
Name
Unit
HE 151
Food & Nutrition
1.0
HE 152
Home Management & Housing
1.0
HE 153
Child Development & Family Relations
1.0
HE 154
Related Art
1.0
Total

4.0
Courses for 2nd Year :
Major Courses for 2nd Year :
Course No.
Name
Unit
Practical
Unit
1. CT 201
Historic Costume and Textile
1.0
CT 204
0.5
2. CT 202
Fabric Structure, Design and Colour
1.0
CT 205(Viva)
0.5
3. CT 203
Garment Manufacturing Technology-I
1.0


Total

3.0

1.0
 
Minor Courses for 2nd Year :
Course No.
Name
Unit
HE 251
Household Physics
1.0
HE 253
Organic & Physical Chemistry
1.0
HE 254
Statistics & Demography
0.5
HE 255
English
1.0
Total

3.5
Major Courses for 3rd Year :
Course No.
Name
Unit
Practical
Unit
1. CT 301
Textile Raw Material-II
1.0
CT 306
0.5
2. CT 302
Basic Design Concept
1.0
CT 307
0.5
3. CT 303
Yarn Manufacturing Technology
1.0
CT 308
0.5
4. CT 304
Fabric Manufacturing Technology
1.0
CT 309
0.5
5. CT 305
Garment Merchandizing
1.0
CT 310(Viva)
0.5
Total

5.0

2.5
Minor Courses for 3rd Year :
Course No.
Name
Unit
HE 351
Sociology
1.0
Total

1.0
Major Courses for 4th Year :
Course No.
Name
Unit
Practical
Unit
1. CT 401
Garment Manufacturing Technology-II
1.0
CT 408
0.5
2. CT 402
Textile Testing and Quality Control
1.0
CT 409
0.5
3. CT 403
Textile Dyeing, Printing & Finishing
1.0
CT 410
0.5
4. CT 404
Fashion Designing
1.0
CT 411
0.5
5. CT 405
Research Methodology
1.0
CT 412
0.5
6. CT 406
Textile & Fashion Marketing
0.5
CT 413(Viva)
0.5
7. CT 407
Industrial Management
1.0

0.5
Total

6.5

3.0

Syllabus for one year M.S. Course In Home Economics
(Department of Clothing & Textile)
For the Session: 2007-2008 and onward
The curriculum for M.S. course in Clothing & Textile, shall be offered over the period of one academic year. Students who have passed Hons. examination in Home Economics(Clothing & Textile) will be admitted to the M.S. course in Clothing & Textile. A total of 6 units (600 marks) of courses are modified and distributed as followed as per regulations of the faculty of Biological Sciences, under, the University of Dhaka. There will be a final examination at the end of academic year for students in both theoretical and practical courses and results will be published as per regulation of the Controller of Examination , University of Dhaka.
There will be a total of six units for both Groups A (General) and Group B (Thesis) students. The course distribution will be as follows:
 
Group A (General):Theory : 4.0 units
Practical : 0.5 units
Internship/ Field work : 0.5 units
Seminar : 0.5 units
Viva- voce : 0.5 units
Total : 6.0 units
The minimum required time for internship is 210 hours to be spread over 30 working days beyond final report writing.
 
Group B (Thesis):Theory : 4.0 units
Thesis : 1.0 units
Seminar : 0.5 units
Viva- voce : 0.5 units
Total : 6.0 units
To be offered to selected number of students. Selection will be based on merit and teacher facilities. Final selection will be done by the selection board.

The Courses are as follows:
The Courses are as follows:
For Group A (General) :-
Course No.
Name
Unit
CT – 501
Textile and Consumer Economics
1.0
CT – 502
Quality Control and Advanced Apparel Technology
1.0
CT – 503
Maintenance and safety in Textile
1.0
CT – 504
Small Business Management
0.5
CT – 505
Human Resource Management
0.5
CT – 506
Practical
0.5
CT – 507
Internship/ Field work
0.5
CT – 508
Seminar
0.5
CT – 509
Viva – voce
0.5
The Courses are as follows:
For Group B (General) :-
Course No.
Name
Unit
CT – 501
Textile and Consumer Economics
1.0
CT – 502
Quality Control and Advanced Apparel Technology
1.0
CT – 503
Maintenance and safety in Textile
1.0
CT – 504
Small Business Management
0.5
CT – 505
Human Resource Management
0.5
CT – 508
Seminar
0.5
CT – 509
Viva – voce
0.5
CT – 510
Thesis
1.0

Internship- Or, Field project-Student will collect data in order to prepare a field project report under the direct supervision of a teacher. The subject will be related to Fiber/ Yarn/ Fabric/ Dyeing & printing/ Garment manufacturing / Merchandizing /Fashion design and any concerned issue related to clothing and textile. CT-508 Unit-0.5
 
Seminar- The students will have to demonstrate their theoretical knowledge and skills through seminar. Students have to prepare a seminar paper in consultation with the guide and submit in to the department. The examination committee will then ask the student to present the seminar before an assorted audience. Students will be judged on basis (i) written paper (ii) Presentation quality (iii) Quality of response to the questions of the audience. CT-509
 
Viva-voce- Viva-voce is mandatory for all students. The student will appear before the examination committee for a Viva-voce on all the theory and practical activities of the course. CT-510
 
Thesis- Selected student will carry out research work on textile related subject and submit a thesis report. For thesis 60% marks are allocated for thesis evaluation and 40% marks for presentation. Examination rules for M.S. Program in

Clothing & Textile:
The rules for conducting sessions for M.S. are in accordance with the regulations of the Faculty of Biological Science, University of Dhaka.
1. Each 1 unit course will have 60 lecture hours, composing 100 marks.
2. Each ½ unit course will have 30 lecture hours, composing 50 marks each.
3. The duration of final year examination for 1unit 4 hours and 2.5 hours for ½ unit.
4. At the end of one academic year, final examination will be held.
5.A student has to secure minimum 36 % of total marks to pass.